Cool Australia values and respects individuals’ rights to privacy.
While we are a small not-for-profit business that is not bound by the Privacy Act as such, we use our best efforts to comply with the Australian Federal Privacy Act – as a good corporate citizen and a reputation organisation.
Information We Collect
We collect information to provide better services to all of our users – from figuring out basic stuff like which browser you use, to more complex things like which resources or courses would suit you most.
We collect information in several ways:
- Information you give us. For example, to access an online course we require you to sign up for a Cool Australia Account. When you do, we’ll ask for personal information, like your name, email address and school/organisation name.
- Information we get from your use of websites. We collect information about your use of our websites and how you use them.
- This information includes:
- Device information. We collect device-specific information
- Log information. When you use our services or view content provided by us, we automatically collect and store certain information in server logs. This includes:
– Details of how you used our service, such as your search queries.
– Internet protocol address.
– Device event information such as crashes, system activity, hardware settings, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and referral URL.
– Cookies that may uniquely identify your browser or your Cool Australia account.
When you use our website, we may collect and process information about your location.
We may collect and store information (including personal information) locally on your device using mechanisms such as browser web storage.
Cookies and Anonymous Identifiers
We use various technologies to collect and store information when you visit a Cool Australia website, and this may include sending one or more cookies or anonymous identifiers to your device.
Cool Australia also uses web analytics services, which currently include Google Analytics, Inspectlet and Crazy Egg Analysis Service.
We may collect Personal Information from you offline, such as when you attend one of our events, during phone calls with Cool Australia representatives, or when you contact Cool Australia.
Information From Other Sources
In order to enhance our ability to provide relevant marketing, offers, and services to you, we may obtain information about you from other sources, such as public databases, joint marketing partners, social media platforms, as well as from other third parties.
How We Use Information We Collect
We use the information we collect from all of our services to provide, maintain, protect and improve them, to develop new ones, and to protect Cool Australia and our users. We also use this information to offer you tailored content – for example giving you more relevant content and teaching resources.
We may use the name you provide for your Cool Australia account across all of the services we offer that require a Cool Australia account.
We may use your email address to inform you about our services, such as letting you know about upcoming changes or improvements.
We may also use information provided to us to respond to your inquiries and fulfil your requests, such as to send you newsletters and administrative information.
We may also communicate with you to provide related customer services and to send you marketing communications that we believe may be of interest to you.
We use information collected from cookies and other technologies to improve your user experience and the overall quality of our services. We will not associate a cookie or anonymous identifier with sensitive categories, such as those based on religion, sexual orientation or health.
We may combine personal information from one service with information, including personal information, from other Cool Australia websites or services.
Cool Australia processes personal information on our servers in many countries around the world. We may process your personal information on a server located outside the country where you live.
Transparency and Choice
People have different privacy concerns. Our goal is to be clear about what information we collect, so that you can make meaningful choices about how it is used.
You may also set your browser to block all cookies, including cookies associated with our services, or to indicate when a cookie is being set by us. However, it’s important to remember that many of our services may not function properly if your cookies are disabled.
To learn more our analytics software, please click here.
Accessing and Updating Your Personal Information
You have a right to access your personal information. If that information is wrong, we strive to give you ways to update it quickly or to delete it – unless we have to keep that information for business or legal purposes. When updating your personal information, we may ask you to verify your identity before we can act on your request.
We may reject requests that are unreasonably repetitive, require disproportionate technical effort (for example, developing a new system or fundamentally changing an existing practice), risk the privacy of others, or would be extremely impractical (for instance, requests concerning information residing on backup systems).
Information We Share
We do not share personal information with companies, organisations and individuals outside of Cool Australia unless one of the following circumstances applies:
With Your Consent
We will share personal information with companies, organisations or individuals outside of Cool Australia when we have your consent to do so. We require opt-in consent for the sharing of any sensitive personal information.
For External Processing
For Legal Reasons
We will share personal information with companies, organisations or individuals outside of Cool Australia if we have a good-faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of the information is reasonably necessary to:
- meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request.
- enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations.
- detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues.
- protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of Cool Australia, our users or the public as required or permitted by law.
We may share aggregated, non-personally identifiable information publicly and with our partners. For example, we may share information publicly to show trends about the general use of our services.
We work hard to protect Cool Australia and our users from unauthorised access to or unauthorised alteration, disclosure or destruction of information we hold. In particular:
- We review our information collection, storage and processing practices, including physical security measures, to guard against unauthorised access to systems.
- We restrict access to personal information to Cool Australia employees, contractors and agents who need to know that information in order to process it for us, and who are subject to strict contractual confidentiality obligations and may be disciplined or terminated if they fail to meet these obligations.
Information for Under 18s
If you are under 18, be sure to obtain your parent’s or guardian’s permission before you send any information about yourself (your name, address, e-mail address, etc.) to us or anyone else over the Internet. We encourage parents to get involved with their children’s usage of the Internet, and to be aware of the activities in which they are participating.
Privacy Related Complaints
If you have any concern or complaint regarding our handling of your personal information, please similarly contact us using the contact details below, and we will contact you within 5 business days to discuss your complaint with you and attempt to resolve it. If you are still dissatisfied with the outcome, we will escalate your concern or complaint to our CEO within a further 5 Business Days for resolution, failing which you may exercise any rights you may have under the Privacy Act. We will act reasonably with respect to any reasonable concern or complaint you may have.
How Can I Change My Details?
If you are a subscriber to Cool Australia you can update your contact information or other personal information at any time by:
Calling us – 1300 853 810
Emailing – firstname.lastname@example.org
Posting to –
127A Chapel Street
Windsor VIC 3181