11 learners taking this course
In this course you will find out to use group work tasks to deepen student engagement in learning.
This course will help you understand how group work can be used to improve student learning, and deepen students’ experience of and engagement with topics. You’ll learn:
- What great group work looks like and why it is important
- How group work can benefit you and your students
- How to prepare students for group work tasks
- How to overcome some common group work challenges
- Tips and strategies for incorporating more group work and improving existing group work tasks.
Download the course brochure here.
- Primary and Secondary General capabilities: Personal and Social Capability.
This course is mapped to the Professional Standards for Teachers. It is accredited for teacher professional development hours in the following states and territories:
Proficient Teacher – all states and territories except NSW
3.3 Select and use relevant teaching strategies to develop knowledge, skills, problem solving and critical and creative thinking.
4.1 Establish and implement inclusive and positive interactions to engage and support all students in classroom activities.
This course is accredited by TQI for 2 hours professional development for teachers in the ACT.
Krista Nisi is the Head Writer at Cool Australia and brings over 15 years of experiencing working in education, tertiary and local government. She holds a Masters in Environment (Environmental Education) from the University of Melbourne. Krista looks for innovative ways to involve young people in early learning and school education by helping them explore, think about and engage with the world around them.
Mark Drummond from Cool Australia is your course teacher. He has worked in the education sector for over 11 years as a classroom teacher, Leader of Pedagogy within an Ed-Tech startup and as an educational consultant. Mark is an absolute science nerd and loves talking about dinosaurs as much as he loves talking about education (which is a lot)!
We would like to thank Cisco for their support in the creation of this online course.
As a not-for-profit organisation all revenue from our Professional Development courses is reinvested into providing teachers with the resources to become the designers of exceptional learning.
Reviews for Using Group Work To Improve Student Learning
- 09. Practising Good Group Work
- 10. Choosing The Right Task
- 11. Preparing Students For Working In Groups
- 12. Creating Group Work Guidelines
- 13. Encourage Communication
- 14. Stretching Students
- 15. Assessing Group Work
- 16. Other Strategies For Addressing Unequal Participation
- 17. Teaching Tips
- 18. Quick Check-in