115 learners taking this course
I enjoyed exploring how to use inquiry questions to improve geography teaching – James
I’m new to geography and this course helped me understand the basics – Cameron
This course reminded me about how important sustainability is to the geography curriculum – Brooke
Connect what is being taught in your geography classroom to the world outside, using sustainability education. In this course, you will learn:
- How sustainability fits into the Year 7 to Year 10 geography curriculum.
- A holistic definition of sustainability, which goes beyond compost bins and solar panels.
- How to use geographic inquiry to connect students to the world.
- How to access a range of resources that will give your teaching a boost.
- Geography – Years 7 to 10
- General capabilities: Literacy, Numeracy, Critical and Creative Thinking, Personal and Social Capability, Ethical Understanding, Intercultural Understanding
- Cross curriculum priorities: Sustainability
This course is mapped to the Professional Standards for Teachers. It is accredited for teacher professional development hours in the following states and territories:
Graduate Teacher – all states and territories except ACT
3.3.1 Include a range of teaching strategies.
3.4.1 Demonstrate knowledge of a range of resources, including ICT, that engage students in their learning.
Proficient Teacher – all states and territories except ACT
3.3.2 Plan and implement well-structured learning and teaching programs or lesson sequences that engage students and promote learning.
3.4.2 Select and/or create and use a range of resources, including ICT, to engage students in their learning.
Highly Accomplished Teacher – all states and territories except ACT and NSW
3.3.3 Support colleagues to select and apply effective teaching strategies to develop knowledge, skills, problem solving and Critical and Creative Thinking.
3.4.3 Assist colleagues to create, select and use a wide range of resources, including ICT, to engage students in their learning.
In NSW, Cool Australia is endorsed to provide NESA Registered Professional Development for teachers accredited at Proficient Teacher.
Chris Vella from Cool Australia is your course teacher. He has worked in the education sector for over 10 years as a classroom teacher and educational consultant. He has also worked at Western Sydney University. Chris loves getting creative with education and supporting others to do the same.
As a not-for-profit organisation all revenue from our Professional Development courses is reinvested into providing teachers with the resources to become the designers of exceptional learning.