46 learners taking this course
This course will help you teach science experiments in the primary classroom. You will discover how to develop the scientific literacy of students and motivate their interest in learning science.
- How to involve students in simple science experiments.
- How to develop the scientific literacy of students.
- How science is linked to curriculum outcomes.
- Where to download teaching resources that you can use right away.
This course will take you 2 hours to complete. Enjoy it in one session or spread it out over a few weeks. You will have ongoing access.
This course is on-demand and for private study. Learn at your own pace and at times that suit you. You receive a certificate when you finish.
You will need this equipment to conduct some fun science experiments:
- 1 jar with a lid (any size will do)
- Tap water
- Dishwashing liquid
- 1 small bowl
- Ground pepper
- Science: Foundation – Year 6, Science Inquiry Skills strand
- Cross curriculum priorities: Sustainability
- General capabilities: Personal and Social Capability
This course is mapped to the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers.
It is accredited for professional development hours for:
Proficient Teacher – all states and territories except NSW
2.1.2 Apply knowledge of the content and teaching strategies of the teaching area to develop engaging teaching activities.
3.3.3 Plan and implement well-structured learning and teaching programs or lesson sequences that engage students and promote learning
3.4.2 Select and/or create and use a range of resources, including ICT, to engage students in their learning
Highly Accomplished Teacher – all states and territories except NSW
2.5.3 Support colleagues to implement effective teaching strategies to improve students’ literacy and numeracy achievement
3.3.3 Support colleagues to select and apply effective teaching strategies to develop knowledge, skills, problem solving and Critical and Creative Thinking
3.4.3 Assist colleagues to create, select and use a wide range of resources, including ICT, to engage students in their learning
This course is accredited by TQI for 2 hours professional development for teachers in the ACT.
Completing Inspire Young Scientists in the Primary Classroom will contribute 2 hours and 0 minutes of NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) Registered PD addressing 3.4.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining Proficient Teacher Accreditation in NSW.
As a not-for-profit organisation all revenue from our Professional Development courses is reinvested into providing teachers with the resources to become the designers of exceptional learning.
Reviews for Inspire Young Scientists in the Primary Classroom
- 08. About The Experiments
- 09. Tornado in a Jar
- 10. Tornado in a Jar – Explanation
- 11. Being a Science Role Model
- 12. How Do Seeds Grow?
- 13. How Do Seeds Grow? – Explanation
- 14. Staying Afloat
- 15. Staying Afloat – Explanation
- 16. Make a Compass
- 17. Make a Compass – Explanation
- 18. Recipe for Teaching
- 19. Quick Check In