141 learners taking this course
Great content, valuable resources and delivered in an accessible manner. Loved it! – Lisa
I learnt so much about cool burning and now have lots of lesson ideas – Mandy
This PD has excellent video clips that engage both students and teachers – Ash
In this course you will discover how John, an Aboriginal land manager, uses fire techniques to Care for Country. John works with scientists and farmers to reduce the impact of bushfires and protect communities. You will learn:
- How to use John’s story to teach land management in Year 8-10 Geography.
- How to teach Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Histories and Cultures.
- How to access a range of lessons that will engage your students.
- How to make learning relevant by connecting to land management in your local area.
This course will take you 2 hours to complete. Enjoy it in one session or spread it out over a few weeks. You will have ongoing access.
This course is on-demand and for private study. Learn at your own pace and at times that suit you. Get a certificate when you finish.
- Year 8 Geography: Unit 1 – Landforms and Landscapes
- Year 10 Geography: Unit 1 – Environmental Change and Management
- General capabilities: Literacy, Critical and Creative Thinking, Intercultural Understanding
- Cross curriculum priorities: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Histories and Cultures, Sustainability
This course is mapped to the Professional Standards for Teachers. It is accredited for teacher professional development hours in the following states and territories:
2.4.2 Provide opportunities for students to develop understanding of and respect for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander histories, cultures and languages
3.3.2 Plan and implement well-structured learning and teaching programs or lesson sequences that engage students and promote learning
3.4.2 Select and/or create and use a range of resources, including ICT, to engage students in their learning.
This course is accredited by TQI for 2 hours professional development for teachers in the ACT.
Chris Vella from Cool Australia is your course teacher. He has worked in the education sector for over 10 years as a classroom teacher and educational consultant. He has also worked at Western Sydney University. Chris loves getting creative with education and supporting others to do the same.
As a not-for-profit organisation all revenue from our Professional Development courses is reinvested into providing teachers with the resources to become the designers of exceptional learning.