189 learners taking this course
I am going to design an awesome inquiry unit based on this course! – Jack
I am now able to teach Aboriginal histories and cultures with more confidence – Penny
I learn about ‘cool burning’ and how to engage my students in this topic – Steffanie
In this course, you will hear how John Daly uses fire stick techniques to care for Country. John works with scientists and farmers to reduce the impact of bushfires and protect communities. You will learn:
- How to use John’s story to teach traditional land management in Years 3-6.
- How to teach Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Histories and Cultures in history, geography and English.
- How to access a range of lessons that will excite your students.
- How to make learning relevant by connecting to land management in your local area.
This course will take you 2 hours to complete. Enjoy it in one session or spread it out over a few weeks. You will have ongoing access.
This course is on-demand and for private study. Learn at your own pace and at times that suit you. Get a certificate when you finish.
- Year 3: History
- Year 4: History, Geography
- Year 5: Geography
- General capabilities: Literacy, Critical and Creative Thinking, Intercultural Understanding
- Cross curriculum priorities: Sustainability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Histories and Cultures
This course is mapped to the Professional Standards for Teachers. It is accredited for teacher professional development hours in the following states and territories:
Proficient Teacher – except NSW
2.4.2 Provide opportunities for students to develop understanding of and respect for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander histories, cultures and languages
3.3.2 Plan and implement well-structured learning and teaching programs or lesson sequences that engage students and promote learning
3.4.2 Select and/or create and use a range of resources, including ICT, to engage students in their learning.
This course is accredited by TQI for 2 hours professional development for teachers in the ACT.
Chris Vella from Cool Australia is your course teacher. He has worked in the education sector for over 10 years as a classroom teacher and educational consultant. He has also worked at Western Sydney University. Chris loves getting creative with education and supporting others to do the same.
As a not-for-profit organisation all revenue from our Professional Development courses is reinvested into providing teachers with the resources to become the designers of exceptional learning.